Lessons Developed by Library of Congress Summer Institute Participants
- Why did English settlers clash with American Indians in the 1600s?
- How were children’s lives in colonial times similar and different to children’s lives today?
Revolution & Early America
- Who was to blame for the Boston Massacre?
- Why did colonial leaders feel justified in fighting for independence from Great Britain?
- What did the removal of the Native Americans in the 1830s from the Southeast communicate to different population groups about future government policy?
Civil War & Reconstruction
- How did the draft laws passed during the Civil War impact both the Union and the Confederacy?
- What impact did the Freedmen’s Bureau have in the South?
- How did the lives of African Americans change after the institution of slavery ended in the United States?
- How did the tactics used by the suffragists both change over time and remain constant in their effort to gain the vote?
- Was Susan B. Anthony a successful suffragette? & Picture Walk
- What caused the formation of national labor unions in the United States?
World War I & the 1920s
- Should the United States have entered World War I in 1917?
- What was the impact of the Espionage Act of 1917 on American citizens?
- How did anti-Catholic sentiment affect the election of 1928?
World War II